As we have said many times before on these pages Valencia is a wonderful place to live. The best thing is that it is a a great place to live all year round but it’s in the summer when the long, warm Valencian evenings come into their own and you get to enjoy the city to its fullest extent and we are now getting to the summer.
Already you can see people shooting the breeze with friends at pavement cafes long into the evening without resort to even the lightest jacket and strolling through the parks, gardens, historical centre of the city and more, just enjoying life. This traditional lifestyle is complemented by a more organised events schedule put together by the Valencia tourist board and lots of social entrepreneurs making Valencia the ideal place to spend your summer. Let’s just look at some of the events coming up this summer for you to enjoy.
1) A Lake of Concerts – Every Friday evening at the City of Arts and Sciences at 8pm the students from the Berklee School of Music in Valencia give a free concert. It’s a great way to start the weekend as they present a variety of musical styles and their huge range of talents.
2) The big music event in the city this summer is the 4Ever Festival on the 29th and 30th of June at the Marina. Take your pick of the headliners but it includes Simple Minds, The Prodigy, The Kaiser Chiefs, Manic Street Preachers, The Cult, The Jesus and Mary Chain and Killing Joke. One for those of us looking to enjoy the 80’s, 90’s and beyond. You can get your tickets here.
3) The Festival of Arts – The City of Arts and Sciences again for the fourth Festival of Arts on the 8th and 9th of June. Again a music event but noted for its food trucks and international acts the Festival of Arts is growing year on year and is another solid addition to the Valencian summer weekends.
4) The Viveros Concerts – Every year there are evening concerts in Viveros park throughout July. This year the concerts are between the 4th and the 28th of July and include local, national and international acts at a range of prices to suit all pockets. The Waterboys, Nina Pastori, Los Secretos and Ruben Blades are among those featuring this year.
5) The July Fair – Every year the July fair comes to Valencia. In the riverbed we have the fairground, there are the concerts mentioned above in Viveros and, unfortunately, we have bullfighting in the central bullring.
6) Valencia Shopening Night – Valencia’s shops open their doors until midnight on the 7th June this year with special offers, events and more all around the central shopping areas for those who like their shopping to be nocturnal and out of the sun. There are over 200 shops taking part this year so if you love your shopaholicism you can satiate it here.
7) The Taronja Games Festival – Beach and watersports festival on the waterfront on the 29th June to the 1st July. All sorts of events for all ages and very competitive. The Taronja games festival styles itself as something for all the family where you can get to try out new sports and activities in a family atmosphere.
8) Things to do with children in Valencia – We understand that many of the above activities you may not be able to do if you have easily bored kids with you. However, Valencia is a very child friendly city and therefore there is plenty to do to keep them occupied and interested. This gets even better in the Valencian summer as many of the activities are outdoors and can be combined into great days out in the city.
9) Big Yoga Event – There is a Big Yoga Festival in Valencia this summer on the 23rd and 24th of June. Get your lycra and stretching muscles out and wonder how everyone else is doing it so much better than you are. For those looking forward to this here is the programme
10) Free beach activities every day – You can tryout Tai Chi, Yoga, Pilates and more early morning and late evening to avoid the hottest parts of the day. The activities run from the 1st July to the 31st August. Tryout something new on the beach.
11) Star Wars Exhibition – For the geeks among you and younger members of the family, the largest exhibition of Star Wars merch arrives in Valencia from the 1st – 30th June. Apparently it’s a private collection of things seen in the Star Wars series so you can safely say that the owner is a bigger geek than you are whatever your level of geekery.
There is so much more but this post could go on forever. Keep an eye out on the Valencia town council events page, Valencia Bonita, and others for what is going on. You can be sure there will be hundreds of firework displays, every village will have its own summer fiestas and the beach will be as enticing as ever. Just make sure to keep in touch and you can always find something interesting and exciting to do in Valencia’s summer. A great place to live and a fantastic lifestyle.
And finally of course we know that you want to be a part of this. You can find your piece of Valencia, your own personal property on our homepage for Valencia Property. Scroll through and whether your choice is a city bolthole apartment, a villa in the countryside or a beach apartment overlooking the rising sun every morning we can find it for you.